Monday, May 6, 2013

A Midnight Clear (1992)

8.5/10 [Highly Recommended]

A wonderful masterpiece!!

Plot:Set in 1944 France, an American Intelligence Squad locates a German Platoon wishing to surrender rather than die in Germany's final war offensive. The two groups of men, isolated from the war at present, put aside their differences and spend Christmas together before the surrender plan turns bad and both sides are forced to fight the other.

What I loved about this film:

The unique start of the film, that drops you right into the world of the soldiers. The way this film present each character gives me instant connection with them.

Superb acting! Ethan Hawke, Kevin Dillon, Frank Whaley, Arye Gross are amazing together. Their dialogue and emotions compliment each other perfectly and . I felt drawn to each character and the mission they drew for themselves. If I had to be in that forest, I just hope Will Knot (Ethan Hawke),Cpl. Mel Avakian( Dillon), Paul 'Father' Mundy (Whaley), Bud Miller(Peter Berg) and Stan Shutzer (Arye Gross) has my back.

A story that captures. At no point of this film did I think about any behind the scenes or filming technique. I was so engrossed by the dialogue, story and engulfed by the decisions the squad took. (spoilers follows) Though the ultimate occurrence made me sad, as I direly wanted it all to have worked out.

Very believable filming locations and acting. Like I mention before, the story and approach at presenting this story is so unique and compelling that I might need to rewatch it again, just so I can observe the filming technique.

A Midnight Clear is probably on my top 5 favourite war movies, beating Saving Private Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...